Chronicles of Possible Worlds
The theme of “Chronicles of Possible Worlds” is exoplanets, new planets discovered starting in 1995 which revolve around a star outside our solar system. Mixing music, dance and visuals, this creative work testifies to the advances of science and hints at the existence of possible other worlds. Following a period of investigation and a meeting with researchers from the Marseille Astrophysics Laboratory, Mills chose to focus on six planets (Wasp 12b, 13b, 14b, 15b, 16b and 17b). Their specific physical and structural properties were then translated through music, sound, images and dance.
Together with Mills, the choreographer Alexandre Roccoli created a roaming choreography spread out across the Vasarely Foundation that explores the correspondence between the physical properties of these planets and choreography’s own “body states”. The show’s soundtrack, composed by Mills, is broadcast by the dancers’ costumes (designed by Berlin designer Anke Bruns) that are equipped with speakers. The music, the different sonic trajectories, the dancers and the public ambling freely through the halls can spatialize, orbit, or even fuse in the naves of the Foundation.
22page 20x20cm (8x8inch) hard cover booklet. Including texts by Jeff Mills, the astrophysicists etc, artworks related to the projects, photos of dance rehearsals CD/DVD are attached inside the book.
Text: French and English
CD Track Listing:
01. Starlight Transmission – 5.FN”21N”N” Guest violinist: Thomas Roussel
02. An Alternative To Earth – 5.FN”13N”N” Monologue: Jeff Mills
03. Solar System Context – 5.FN”29N”N” Monologue: Magali Deleuil
04. The Gemini Pulsar – 4.FN”14N”N”
05. Searching The Stars – 5.FN”32N”N”
06. The Possibility Of Other Earths – 3.FN”19N”N” Monologue: Cilia Damiani
07. Tales From Extra Solar WASP 17b – 5.FN”04N”N”
08. Transit Detections – 5.FN”26N”N” Conversation: Jeff Mills, Magali Deleuil
09. Lyra Constellations – 4.FN”51N”N” Guest violinist: Thomas Roussel
10. Planetary Habital Zones – 5.FN”27N”N” Guest Violinist: Thomas Roussel
11. Dreams Beyond Our Horizon – 5.FN”06N”N” Conversation: Jeff Mills, Magali Deleuil and Alexandre Roccoli
A total timing: 56 min
Making of Chronicles of Possible World. Including commentaries from Jeff Mills/ the organizer of the event/ the choreographer / the astro physicists etc, the scenes from the dance rehearsals.
A total timing: 25 min (no region)